That lovely Stop Sign

That lovely Stop Sign
This sign is the most loved/hated thing here!

I did it! I am committed! WE are doing it!

I have taken the "before" pictures, I have announced my journey to my community. I have asked for their help in holding me accountable - I am going to lose this weight, gain health and hopefully inspire others along the way to do the same. Together we will become stronger individuals and become a stronger, healthier community!



Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 6, Mind over Body or sometimes Body over Mind

Saturday is Breakfast, Hike, Class, Lunch and then FREE TIME until dinner at 5:30 and graduation for those departing at 6:30.  My free time was spent watching CNN's Tsunami coverage and sleeping - mostly sleeping! 

Saturday is a mandatory Stop Sign hike that is timed and compared to Monday's time.  Monday I had a time of 1:39 and Saturday was 1:35, so four minutes off.  It wasn't what I wanted, but I am content considering I had to fight my knee injury the whole way.  I have to keep reminding myself that it really is about the little things and 4 minutes seems little, but it will add up quickly!

I have to continue to remember that when good little things add up to big, good things - so do bad little things add up to big, bad things.  For me, food is this issue!  Saturday's menu was good, most of the calories are at breakfast since we hike and have only one class to burn it off.  I also have pictures of the Parfait next to a coffee cup and a water carafe, to show relative size.  I have major portion control issues!  I am trying to retrain my mind and this place is a great place to do that!


On the hike, I was all about mind over body.  My body wanted to stop, but not in an "I am really hurting, you must stop" way, but in an "I am really uncomfortable and I don't want to do this" kind of way.  There is a saying here that the trainers use a lot "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable!"  I am starting to really understand the importance of that saying!  I took a few pictures today and a video.  I'm not sure if I can post the video here, but I will put the video on Facebook for sure.  They both show that we are in the tops of the mountains.  It is a challenge to walk and to breathe up there!  Great for all systems, when I get back to Ohio I should definitely have some increased lung capacity!


The picture below is of "sisters" as we refer to them.  They are leaving today and I will miss them.  The remind me of my own sisters whom I miss very much.  The love and understanding you have with a sister is like none other!  One sister lost 100 lbs and has kept it off for 5 years and was here to jump-start her loss of the last 20 lbs.  One had breast cancer and lots of radiation and was here to regain strength.  The third (Lisa) has really bad asthma and was trying to lose weight.  The first two sisters made it to stop sign and then walked back down to get the third and bring her up.  There was lots of crying and hugging and crying, as Lisa shaved 14 minutes off of her time and made it up with a smile on her face with her sisters by her side.  I have to admit I cried with them!  They are awesome and I will miss them.


After the hike, I had stretch class and I really got in touch with my body and was able to hear what it had to say.  Stretch class was over and my body said, no it's not!  So I stayed and stretched for another 1/2 hour until it loosened up and was ready to move on. There was another score for the mental gymnastics there - I wanted to quit when class was done, but the body was ready to do more and really needed to do more.  Some days, your body just takes longer to respond.  After stretch class, I usually feel like Gumby, but it took a while longer to achieve that today - but it did happen when I listened to my body talk (my body talk - now that song will be in my head all day!).  So that was a body over mind win!

Lunch was great and then after my afternoon of napping, the hugging and the sad faces started at dinner as so many new and wonderful friends would be leaving in the morning!  Lots of hugs and lots of pictures, here are a few!

Then after graduation we had karaoke and then off to bed.  It was fun, but I didn't stay long as I was really tired.  Here is a picture of Seth from New York singing Sweet Caroline and everyone waving along.  Seth is every stereotype of New Yorker you ever heard, except he is the nicest guy you'll ever meet!  Some brave souls belted out some tunes; actually, they didn't need to be that brave, because they were awesome! 

That about wraps up Saturday!  TTFN

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog, sounds like a great Saturday, and sounds like I should expect an emotional stay! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete